Originally intended to shield walls from splatters that can cause mold and staining, backsplashes have begun to take on a life of their own as homeowners spend nearly as much time choosing the design and material of the backsplash as they do the countertops. At Affinity, we encourage homeowners to choose a backsplash that complements the countertops they have chosen, while still allowing their creativity to flourish when it comes to selecting a style. The finished product should enhance the aesthetic appearance of your space while maintaining functionality. When considering materials and design for your backsplash, here are some things to consider:
- How often and for what purposes will you use your space?
- How often will your backsplash be exposed to water, heat, and steam?
- What material options best fit your aesthetic vision? Great possibilities for backsplashes include natural stones (granite, marble, travertine), porcelain or ceramic tiles, metal, and glass. When choosing stone tile for your backsplash, it is important to remember that, like the countertops, stone backsplashes must regularly be sealed.
- How large and what color you decide to make your grout can make a huge difference in the final result.
- Textured backsplashes certainly add appeal to any wall, but mold or food particles may also occasionally get trapped in ridges and leave you scrubbing.
In more contemporary spaces, backsplashes have become less recognized for their functionality and are valued for their design. Do you want your backsplash to be the main feature in your room, or would you prefer that it subtly complement the craftsmanship of the countertops and other elements in the room? You have the option to limit the backsplash to behind the stove or extend it all the way up to the ceiling.
Some modern bathrooms have a backsplash that covers all wall surfaces. Whether you choose to let it extend vertically or spread horizontally, Affinity can help you choose the perfect material and installation to best suit your needs.
Style is personal, and at Affinity, we are committed to helping you find a backsplash that perfectly complements your vision. Consider the size, patterns, colors, and textures of your backsplash and how that fits into other elements of your kitchen or bathroom, especially the countertops. A backsplash can be as simple as a 4” natural stone backsplash matching the countertops in a bathroom – or it can be an intricate design selected once the countertop material is decided on.
Affinity has a great selection of backsplash materials, as well as a team of talented designers that will help you select a splash that beautifully complements your countertops. Visit our design center to view our beautiful inventory and discuss your project with one of our design specialists. We’re here with you every step of the way.