Your mother suggests one material, but each of your friends swears by another. So which type of countertop is best for you? The options at Affinity appeal to a broad range of taste and function. Check out our countertop “cheat sheet” to find your match. If you still have questions or need help finding the right counters for your kitchen or bathroom, feel free to give us a call or stop by our showroom.
- PRO The long-standing favorite, granite naturally occurs in a broad spectrum of colors. Once installed, granite is enduring. It is difficult to scratch and hard to stain.
- CON Requires occasional resealing.
You should consider granite countertops if you are looking for beautiful natural stone that is relatively low maintenance.
- PRO Marble boasts a classically beautiful look that can dress up any kitchen. Its naturally “cool” temperature makes it a great surface for working with pastry. Timelessly elegant, marble can be obtained in a variety of colors and patterns.
- CON Soft and porous, marble very easily scratches and stains.
If you are attentive to spills, fancy the look of aged stone, and desire a fresh, bright, space, do not hesitate to ask about our marble varieties.
- PRO Limestone is incredibly heat resistant. Classic and sophisticated in appearance, this relative of marble has the ability to significantly increase the value of your home.
- CON Limestone color variations are limited to white and sandy hues. Limestone is easily etched.
The occasional fossil or shell imprint that can be observed in limestone makes it especially alluring. If you don’t mind natural imperfections or vigilant upkeep, a limestone counter could be your match.
- PRO Soapstone holds up to intense handling. An excellent insulator, soapstone is not damaged by heat. Additionally, it is less prone to staining than many other materials.
- CON Because soapstone is softer than some other stone counters, it may require regular maintenance like oiling and buffing.
If you imagine your room exuding a traditional, homey charm and find the look of patina appealing, soapstone may be a great option to incorporate in your design.
- PRO Very good at reflecting light, travertine brightens spaces. Travertine may be a good option for those projects with varying consistencies in dimension.
- CON Because this stone tends to absorb liquid, travertine should be regularly disinfected.
Travertine is a great option for those looking for something that succeeds in offering a natural, luxurious appeal.
- PRO Quartzite is an extremely hard rock that is not water or acid-soluble. This natural stone can give you a look similar to marble with more strength and durability.
- CON Etching can occur in the surface of this natural stone.
If you are drawn to the look of marble counter tops, yet weary of the maintenance, quartzite is a wonderful alternative. Quartzite offers a lasting, uniform, upscale contemporary aesthetic.
- PRO Offering a look that ranges from rustic to classy, slate is one of the strongest materials that can be used for a countertop. Non-porous, slate boasts an absorption rate lower than granite.
- CON Comes in smaller slabs, so you may have more seams. Color options are more limited.
If you are better suited to a modern design and intend to use more color in other areas of your renovations, slate varieties may be something you’d like to speak with us about.
QUARTZ: Caesarstone®, Cambria®, Zodiaq®, Silestone
- PRO With total offerings of more than 3,000 combinations of colors, patterns and textures, quartz countertops feature the beauty of natural stone without the maintenance.
- CONS Quartz isn’t as heat resistant as some natural stone materials, so be cautious with hot pans or hair tools.
Do you have a very specific, creative vision or live an active lifestyle with little time for countertop upkeep? If so, you should definitely consider quartz.
SOLID SURFACE: HI-MACS®
- PRO Solid surface countertops are highly durable and can be installed seamlessly. This material possesses a unique versatility to suit any style décor.
- CONS Easy to dent.
Solid surface countertops are ideal for anyone looking for an option that is low maintenance and renewable. Design possibilities are virtually limitless.
Still unsure? Affinity recognizes the intersections and magnitude of personal style expressions and intended use. We understand the weight of selecting something that will grant you a lifetime of use and happiness. We’re here to help.
Please come by our design center to see our inventory and receive expert guidance on your remodeling project!